Sunday, July 24, 2011

An Unchanging God

I was thinking today about the many changes we go through in our lives, as I think about my father's changing condition. He's doing pretty well now, but gave us a bit of a scare this morning (he was having trouble breathing). Other than that, he's doing pretty well, other than a few minor complications that are pretty normal after a long surgery coupled with inactivity. Anyway, his condition is constantly changing just as we are always changing (even though we may not always change the way we'd like, or more accurately the way our spouses would like us to;)).

My final thought was that, even though we are forever in motion and constant change, God never changes. Its amazing to me that through the thousands of years that humans have been in existence God has never changed one time. Thinking about this is really comforting when you think about our lives in relationship to the Bible. I have quoted a lot of scripture in the past few weeks to reassure my foundation in God's word and affirm his faithfulness and unchanging nature.

Being in law school, and reading about a billion cases, I have watched how the law has evolved over time. If you get the wrong case and quote it to the judge as the basis for your case, you lose. Its as simple as that. How wonderful is it that God's word is not that way... We don't have to worry about when we bring our case to God that we are using the wrong argument, an old law that has somehow become archaic. Nope, we just need one book. Even in some cases, one scripture to plead our case before God. I've felt the many prayers and petitions that have went up before God in the past few weeks for my Dad. I'm so thankful to know that so many of my friends and family know how to pray, know the word, and an unchanging God.

Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

1 comment:

  1. I can only imagine how hard it would be to just lie there when you are used to being active but I also know that your dad will make it through without complaining. Praying for a quick recovery. Love you!

    ReplyDelete