Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Laughter is the Best Medicine

I was happy to know my dad could laugh about my "joke" about the house falling on my brother and I. I've always had a very dry sense of humor, just like his. I've always tried to avoid it, but I've embraced it over the past few years. To say the least, its unique. My dad told my mom today, after needing to unbutton his shirt for an EKG, that she better hold herself back from his new 15 pound lighter physique and stylin' haircut. I got a good laugh out of that myself. With every new entry of someone into the room (and apparently there were many doctors and nurses) he asked "where's the pizza?"

The truly sad part about this tragedy is that my dad should be sitting across the kitchen table from me right now... probably in a good rousing debate about why I think all the Republican candidates for president are lame, or why the lousy politicians in Washington can't seem to figure out this debt ceiling mess. He shouldn't have had to spend all day at the hospital undergoing tests. Unfair, yes. I know life isn't fair. You needn't remind me... I'm reminded every time my mom sends me a text message.

At least the tests today yielded positive results (or as positive as they could hold short of complete healing). My dad is pretty healthy overall (minus that rapidly growing tumor on his tongue), and he has lungs that sound "healthy." No cancer there, and we are praising God for that! The doctors have said that a plethora of things could have caused the cancer to begin with, and in addition, all the vitamins my dad takes as a result of his diabetes could have aided in the growth of the cancer (crazy, right?... vitamins, bad?). The thing is, seems like cancer is everywhere these days. Anything can cause cancer it seems like, and maybe that's why there are so many people who feel affected by this whole thing going on with my Dad. Truthfully, I always tried to empathize with what others were going through, but you can't understand it. Not really. Not until you've been there yourself. Hence, this blog. We understand... my mom, me, my brother, and all the other people around us who love my dad. We've been there, and we're going to make it through this together, with laughter and love.

Then was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing... The LORD hath done great things for them. Psalm 126:2.

No comments:

Post a Comment